The MIT Innovation Initiative collaborates with the members of MIT’s I&E ecosystem campus-wide to strengthen the vibrant culture and programming of innovation and principled entrepreneurship.
We combine opportunities for hands-on innovation and entrepreneurship education, building a dynamic innovation infrastructure across campus, and fostering a connected community of innovation science researchers focused on global relevance and impact.
We are committed to our mission of being the catalyst of MIT’s innovation ecosystem and to provide innovation infrastructure that better enables ideas to impact by:
- Serving as a connector across the wide range of student groups, programs, and campus centers dedicated to innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Supporting MIT’s most successful innovation and entrepreneurship programs to reach more students and external partners.
- Filling gaps in the landscape through the creation of new educational programs, research efforts, and physical infrastructure that will position MIT to thrive for years to come.
The MIT Innovation Initiative administers the interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship & Innovation Minor. The minor is designed to prepare MIT undergraduates to serve as leaders in the innovation economy with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to develop, scale, and deliver breakthrough solutions to real-world problems.
We also lead several efforts to strengthen MIT’s ability to provide students with hands-on opportunities to learn about making, prototyping and manufacturing. These activities are delivered through Project Manus, the MIT Hong Kong Innovation Node, and new campus innovation hubs for co-working and collaboration.
Through the MIT Lab for Innovation Science and Policy, the Innovation Initiative is systematically investigating the factors that shape innovation outcomes—including policies, incentives, institutions and infrastructure — at every level from individual and organizational to regional, national and global.
- For an overview of the MIT Innovation Initiative, browse through our brochure.
- To learn about the imperatives for the MIT Innovation Initiative today, as well as our aspirations, read our Final Report of Community Feedback and Recommendations.